Sunday, November 14, 2004

The Da Vinci Code vs Angels and Demons

The Da Vinci Code vs Angels and Demons
by Dan Brown
reviewed by Adelynn

I first read The Da Vinci Code due to the hype about it. Before I picked up the book at MPH Citylink, I had thought it was a non-fiction book, ala The Bible Code. I got hooked after the first 2 pages while browsing and received it as a birthday gift.
Having read it so long ago, I can barely recall the contents of the novel, but I remember being captivated throughout the story and raced to finish it. I found the ending a bit of a let-down. What? After all the wild-goose chases, no Holy Grail?? Oops! Gave it away did I?
The content was very well-researched though, like in Angels and Demons, the next Dan Brown book I got. It is set before The Da Vinci Code, with the same protagonist Robert Langdon. Again, a well-researched piece about the group Illuminati.
I actually prefer Angels and Demons. Robert Langdon, an academic, races against time to save 4 cardinals and the world in general. Each is doomed to die in 4 different ways: Air, Fire, Water and Earth. The lag time between Robert figuring out which church they'd be at and when he actually finds them gets shorter and shorter, and my eyes flickered furiously across the pages hoping he could save them.
If the hype and my review haven't already gotten the book snobs out there interested, they're number 1 and 2 on the top 10 fiction list currently. Good enough reason? *

*Update: Tom Hanks is set to play Robert Langdon in the movie version of The Da Vinci Code.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home